Thursday, February 11, 2016

Stephanie Gottlieb


I am thrilled to feature Stephanie Gottlieb today on Juler's Row.  I love her style and am always drooling over her Instagram feed.  Not only is she an extremely talented designer, but Stephanie also runs her own store that showcases some of my favorite designers. 

Q&A with Stephanie Gottlieb, Owner of Stephanie Gottlieb & Designer of SG Fine
What pieces make up your daily uniform of jewelry?
My daily jewelry uniform would be my engagement ring with two stack bands, my eternity band that my husband gave me for our one year anniversary, my Cartier Love and Juste un Clou bracelets, a watch (I rotate) and my diamond studs.  These are the pieces I cant leave the house without, and then I add in other stack rings, necklace layers, and ear cuffs to change things up.  Lately I’ve been really into my rainbow sapphire stack bands, and this fun 18K Rose Gold wire ring.

What inspired you to open your boutique and start your collection, SG Fine?
I always knew that one day I wanted to run my own business, I just didn’t know that it would happen so soon in my career.  But after five years of learning the ins-and-outs of the jewelry business from a wholesale perspective, I really felt ready to start my own company.  It took awhile to become what it is today, which is a successful online jewelry store, one-on-one appointments in NYC with a growing private clientele, and a jewelry line that basically fills in the gaps for jewelry I want to own but cant find.

Where do you find inspiration for your collection, SG Fine?
My first design, my Ray Bar Ring, was inspired by a vintage pin my grandmother had.  It was a long bar of round diamonds pave set that she wore vertically on her lapel.  I always admired it and thought the design would make a really cool ring. When I went to create the actual piece, I had recently seen a layout of baguettes, and I just thought it would be a cool interpretation of that pin.  From there, I started playing with the bar piece and reimagining it in different ways; a bar necklace, a lariat with tiny baguette drop, a wide band with single baguette adornment.

Describe your design process.
I am the first to admit that I have zero technical skills when it comes to designing jewelry.  I cannot sketch for the life of me, despite having super talented family members who are very artistic.  I imagine things in my head and I basically cut and paste on the computer (in Microsoft Word of all programs) using shapes and lines to “draft” a concept.  I then work closely with my jeweler to implement the design. Sometimes my imagination doesn’t quite translate into a successful piece of jewelry, so my process is definitely a work in progress.  I hope to have time in the next few years to take some jewelry making classes to learn more.

Describe the Stephanie Gottlieb woman.
The Stephanie Gottlieb woman is someone who appreciates the classics with a modern twist.  Trendy jewelry is fun, but I always encourage my young clients who are building a jewelry “wardrobe” to start with classic items that they will love and wear forever.  Once you have the classics, I love layering and stacking in trendy pieces!

What is your favorite part of working in the jewelry industry?
Aside from trying on beautiful and sparkly things on a daily basis, I love working directly with a client to pick out and design an engagement ring.  There is nothing more special than being intimately involved in the engagement process, and it is so rewarding when a bride calls or writes a note after she gets engaged to thank me.  My engagement ring is my favorite piece of jewelry I’ve ever owned, and I think most women feel that way, so to be associated with that is really gratifying.




















SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Julers Row. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig